About the Northland Foundation
Created in 1986 by The McKnight Foundation, the Northland Foundation is a regional foundation serving the communities of northeastern Minnesota. Unlike the typical concept of a "foundation" — which is a charitable organization that makes grants to programs from their endowment — the Northland Foundation is unique. We serve our region through:
- a grantmaking program that provides resources to nonprofit organizations in the region;
- an operating program, KIDS PLUS, that is dedicated to improving the well-being of children and youth;
- a business finance program that provides financing to assist small and medium-size businesses;
- an assisted living venture that a provides high-quality, affordable living options to enable older adults to age-in-place in underserved rural communities; and
- other special initiatives.
Like many nonprofit organizations, we raise money to support these program areas. Resources for the Northland Foundation's diverse initiatives are provided through public and private partnerships at the local, state, and national levels. It is our privilege to partner with organizations dedicated to improving northeastern Minnesota's economic vitality and social responsiveness.
Since 1986, the Northland Foundation has:
- Awarded more than 3,400 grants totaling over $25 million to nonprofit organizations in the region.
- Invested more than $50 million in over 500 local and regional businesses which has helped leverage $281 million in other investments and assisted in the creation and retention of 6,500 jobs.
- Generated more than $25 million in resources to provide training, technical assistance, and support to communities across the region through the Foundation’s operating program, KIDS PLUS.
- Created a permanent endowment which provides resources to support projects and programs now and for generations to come.
- Secured $98 million in resources, 95 percent of which was generated from sources outside this region, to address and respond to critical issues facing families, businesses, and communities in northeastern Minnesota.
A copy of the Northland Foundation's Form 990 is available upon request. Please contact usfor a copy. For driving directions to the Northland Foundation offices in Duluth, visit the Contact Us page.