The Northland Foundation is a publicly supported foundation serving the northeastern Minnesota counties of Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, and St. Louis, and the three Tribal Nations in the region: the Bois Forte Band of Chippewa, Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, and Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. Through grantmaking, an operating program, business lending, assisted living, and special initiatives, we help people and communities in our region to move forward together.
Overarching the Foundation’s programs and initiatives are three intersecting Strategic Focus Areas: Children & Youth, Poverty Reduction, and Economy & Jobs.
Resources to fund our work are raised with the support of generous foundation, government, business, service organization, and individual partners and donors.
The Northland Foundation invests in people and communities to support a thriving Northeastern Minnesota.
- Grantmaking. Directing resources to nonprofit and community organizations within two main priorities: Individual and Community Wellbeing.
- KIDS PLUS Program. Improving the wellbeing of children and youth from birth to adulthood through diverse, community-centered initiatives.
- Business Loans. Offering flexible lending to help small and medium-size businesses start up and grow, for a thriving rural economy with family-sustaining jobs.
- Assisted Living. Making a philanthropic investment to offer high-quality assisted living that enables older adults to age-in-community in three rural locations.
- Convening, Training, and Special Initiatives. Providing learning opportunities and special initiatives alongside funding and technical assistance partners.
Integrity. Be solid partners: ethical, reliable, and transparent. Keep the mission and values at the forefront. Walk the talk.
Respect. Listen with an open mind. Honor different cultures, traditions, and beliefs. Practice kindness.
Empowerment. Trust communities to know their own challenges and strengths; Self-determination is a key to long-term success. Encourage that all voices be heard and all gifts valued. Meet people where they are.
Inclusiveness. Challenge ourselves, and others, to acknowledge privilege in all its forms. Be intentional to break down barriers and bring people together. Treat everyone equitably.
Request A Form 990
A copy of the Northland Foundation's most recent Form 990 is available upon request. Please contact us for a copy.